Sunday, December 4, 2011

I met Royalty!

President of Mali and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
Last Wednesday, His Excellency Amadou Toumani Toure, President of Mali traveled all the way from West Africa to speak to the students at my school! A little history lesson.... Amadou Toumani Toure served an army commander. In 1991, he lead a coup over the government and became the leader during the transitional period. In the transition period, he organized the writing of the Mali Constitution and coordinated democratic elections. When the new president was elected he relinquished his power and returned to the the military. This transition of power is so significant. As I am here studying development, I learn about the struggles many countries face in democratic transition. Needless to say, Toure is well respected in African Politics and great example of a strong leader. Later Toure ran for President, winning the election with 27% of the vote. 
It was such a pleasure to meet Toure and hear the history of Mali and his personal story. This is the link to his speech http://www.iss.nl/News/Past-Events/Lecture-by-His-Excellency-Amadou-Toumani-Toure-The-President-of-Mali. (The second posting is in English :)


HOWEVER, I think it was just as exciting to meet THE QUEEN OF HOLLAND!! Beatrix and I are basically neighbors, but she never comes around .... I have tons of sugar (white sugar and brown sugar)...you have to be prepared for these kinds of things! 
There I am! In the back, right... to the left of the bald man :D

No comments:

Post a Comment