Friday, October 7, 2011

Lucky Pot or Pot Luck?


This is on the steps of my front door. 
I am living in a dorm style housing near the city center. I actually live a couple of blocks from the Queen's Working Palace. I like to think we are like neighbors in the same neighborhood. I live on a beautiful small, narrow, dutch street neighboring cafes, pubs, and there is a lovely bakery on the corner. No cars can drive by, there is only room for bikes. For some reason, this tiny street puts on the biggest street parties! When I first arrived there was a family festival with animal balloons, face paint, and crepes! A couple of weekend ago, there was an Oktober Fest celebration! It is a nice environment, but the best part is actually inside the dorm.
This is nearly everyone in our dorm !

I live in this really special international community. There is about 35 students from all different countries. We have two enormous kitchens. It is so fun to see the different meals each person cooks, whether it is a traditional Indonesian  dish, Indian curry, or Bulgarian cheese dish.Some of their food shocks me, and when I eat raw vegetables, it shocks them. I have been called bugs bunny several times because I don't cook my carrots!
The delicious food! 

Hellen let me try Zimbabwean Sadza
and Aba let me taste Ghanaian Goat.
The CA (community assistant) in me is bursting out! I've made name tags for our doors and organized a pot luck dinner! When I was making the invites my friend asked me, "What is a 'Pot Luck?' Is it a lucky pot? Is it some sort of game"  !!! There is always a language barrier here ! It makes everything funny! So we called it a dinner instead. However, when you organize a pot luck with international students, it inevitably becomes an International Pot Luck with food from all parts of the world!

1 comment: